Sunday, March 26, 2006

Flaxseed Loaf



Sunday, March 26, 2006
This flaxseed bread is another one that I probably wouldn't have chosen to make if I hadn't decided to work my way through the whole book--it sounds--well, it sounds too healthy. My vegan friends are always sprinkling flaxseed over everything.
Olive bread--now that sounds sexy; flaxseed loaf just sounds virtuous. But, at least in the case of breads, virtue is its own reward. This is a very rewarding bread.
After deciding that I'd better not grind the flaxseed in Jim's coffee grinder, I decided I'd just use the food processor. I figured it wouldn't be perfect, but it would at least be easy. But nothing happened when I pressed "on." Some little piece of plastic had broken off after the workout with the olive bread, and apparently that piece of plastic was the equivalent of a vital organ. So I got out the old mortar and pestle, and cracked the flaxseed. This tedious chore also made me a little biased toward the flaxseed. Everything just went swimmingly after that. It's one of the fastest breads I've made so far; no sponge or biga is necessary, and it needs no coaxing to rise. It's also delicious, which I didn't expect. It's hearty, all right, but flavorful and with a little bit of crunch. How can so many breads be the best bread I've ever eaten?
By the way, I think I finally got the knack of slashing the bread. I ordered a special French bread slashing knife because I was dissatisfied with my slashing technique. (See picture of Levy's Jewish rye bread--an otherwise wonderful bread with inadequate slashes. In breadmaking, as in life, timidity is rarely the best technique).
I also ordered a new food processor. After reading the reviews, I decided to try a KitchenAid KFP760. The white one was $229.99, and the black one was $179.99. Black is beautiful.

5 comments:

Rose Levy Beranbaum said...

you are SUCH a kindred spirit! everything you wrote about the flax seed bread exactly reflected how i felt about it.
just want to tell you that ultimately i found a single edged razor blade the best for slashing. it's so sharp there's no need to rush and you can deepen the cut if you're dissatisfied with it on the first try.
leaving for seattle tomorrow but will check back on my return to see what your latest bread comments are!
the flax seed bread looks splendid--gorgeous color and grain.

Rose Levy Beranbaum said...

you are SUCH a kindred spirit! everything you wrote about the flax seed bread exactly reflected how i felt about it.
just want to tell you that ultimately i found a single edged razor blade the best for slashing. it's so sharp there's no need to rush and you can deepen the cut if you're dissatisfied with it on the first try.
leaving for seattle tomorrow but will check back on my return to see what your latest bread comments are!
the flax seed bread looks splendid--gorgeous color and grain.
by the way, i've had the same thought (how can so many breads be the best bread i've ever eaten)! and i also have a black kitchen aid food processor.

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I have read that flax seeds aren't of any health benefit unless they are ground. Unground, they are just "passing thru" so you don't have to be worried about being too healty ;-)

Debbie in Georgia

Marie said...

Debbie,
That's a relief!