Sunday, January 07, 2007

Flaxseed No-Knead Bread

Sunday, January 7, 2007
I wasn't sure I was going to bake another bread this weekend because I had already made scones on Saturday, but the call of the no-knead loaf could not be resisted. The ingredients are so simple and basic: 468 grams flour, 1/4 t. instant yeast, 10 grams salt, and 382 grams water. This time I decided to use three flours: bread, whole wheat, and durum. I used about 50 grams each of whole wheat and durum, and the rest was bread flour. After I mixed it up, I remembered that I wanted to try flaxseed, so I cracked a few tablespoons and added them. This is the dough after 18 hours of just sitting around:

Last time I tried this bread, I used a clay pot made by The Pampered Chef. I got this as a gift a few years ago, and have used it in cooking various things, but this is the most perfect use I've ever found for it.

I preheated it for about 45 minutes and dumped the dough into it. It landed all askew, and I shook it a few times, but it was still pretty crooked.

The recipe calls for baking at 450. I've found that 425 is better with this clay pot. I use a glass lid from a large Chantal saute pan, and it fits perfectly on the rim of the pot. And the dough miraculously straightened out in the oven, turning out a very handsome loaf.

This bread was, by the unanimous agreement of two, the best no-knead bread yet. The addition of durum and whole wheat flours added flavor, and it still had a good hole-y texture, to which the flaxseeds added crunch.

I have to admit, this is a pretty amazing bread.

6 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Marie, your bread looks yummy - and huge! :D

I've seen a lot of no-knead breads around but haven't tried it yet.

doughadear said...

That is one of best looking no-knead breads I've seen so far. I made one several weeks ago but because I didn't have an appropriate vessel in which to bake it in I just put mine on a baking stone and steamed the oven as per Rose's instructions. However, it didn't turn out quite to my satisfaction. I was looking around the other day for a vessel that might work, until I buy myself a cast iron pot, and in a storage room I noticed a Pampered
Chef deep dish pie dish that I thought might work if it were only deeper. The problem is it doesn't have a lid and then I saw your Pampered Chef pot which reminded me of a wok and the light bulb went on, and if it fits, an inverted wok over the pie plate may just work! Thank you Marie!

Anonymous said...

You are getting very adventurous now. This loaf has turned out beautiful!
Marie, I noticed you are becoming more prolific in the baking recently. Are you 'nesting' for the impending kitchen remodel? Cheers, Melinda

Marie said...

Patricia,
I recommend trying it--it's not the very best bread in the world, but it's awfully good, and easy, too.

Doughadear,
Glad to have been an inspiration! I hope it works for you.

Melinda,
You are very perceptive. Someone is supposed to come this week to do some demolition in the kitchen, and I am becoming very anxious about the thought of no kitchen for months... and months....

Melody Johnson said...

I love the no-knead bread so much, that 15 pounds later I must not bake (eat!) anymore. However, I did make a great apple bread with the basic recipe.
1 peeled apple,
raisins
pecans
cinnamon and I plumped the raisins first in hot water and used that for the water in the recipe, an added sweetness for the yeast to nibble on. The loaf was MUCH BIGGER due to the extra ingredients, but O so wonderful texture-wise.

Marie said...

Mrs. M.,
I've wondered whether this dough would hold up to the addition of substantial things like fruit and nuts, and I'm glad to hear that it did. Your bread sounds delightful.